Tuesday, July 6, 2010

International Collaboration with Blogs

I will admit, the prospect of organizing international collaboration for my fourth grade students is a bit overwhelming.

However, having gained some confidence with the use of blogs, I can see myself starting small...maybe organizing collaboration among the different classes in my grade level. This would pave the way for collaboration with other schools, counties, and states, and then finally, other countries!

Specifically, the concept of a "bouncing story" interests me. The idea is simple; one participating member begins the story, and after a completing a designated length (a sentence, a paragraph, a page), the story is passed on to someone else, who then contributes the next segment. Why not take this to an international audience?

University students in Canada, England, and Australia did just that, and even went further by recording the new segments of the story as podcasts! Listeners can subscribe to the podcasts in order to remain updated with the most current story section, via the blog. These students certainly serve as a model for international collaboration using a blog!

I may not have the time to create podcasts, but I think my students could handle a written version of this activity. It's definitely worth investigating!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Group 2,
    I just wanted to say that I think that students working together to make afinal productis a great idea. The final product couldbe anything that the students are interested in doing. The main idea being that they have peer input, peer evaluation, team collaboration of one idea,analyzing, researching, and publishing a product that the world can see. When they are able to see theirworkpublished on the webit makes it more inportant in their eyes and allows for that authenticwork to be done as a group.

    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this concept is a very neat idea. It somewhat reminds me of the Flat Stanley project done in elementary schools. This really expands on that idea, but pulls students in on a more interactive level.

    ReplyDelete